Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Who's New Tuesday: Charming Shop

It's Tuesday, let's welcome another new WESTie to the team:  Meet Marissa Howes

Where are you from?
I was born in Lethbridge Alberta and lived in Calgary for the first few years of my life but since then, Winnipeg has been my home!

What is your Etsy shop name?
My shop is called CharmingShop, but on Etsy it's CharmingShopLove


When did you start your Etsy shop?
I officially opened my shop this past February after many months of preparation.  All the planning was definitely worth it, because my shop is a true extension of myself.

Why did you decide to start an Etsy shop?
I really wanted an outlet to showcase my work.  I'm used to creating things just for myself, friends or family. I thought it was time to break out and try to make some income from what I'm passionate about.  I haven't sold anything on my site yet (only at markets), but I have been getting some great feedback.

What do you sell?
In my shop I sell my original mixed media art pieces, art prints and my handmade fashion jewellery.  My passion really stems from a love of the past.  Everything I create is heavily vintage-inspired.  I am influenced by retro wallpaper patterns, kitschy antique items and vintage fashion trends.  Vintage things are such a huge part of my life and it has always been present in my work.


What is your favorite item to make?
I think if I had to pick one thing, my original mixed media pieces are my favorite things to make.  I always love the texture and designs the originals have when they're done.  You can really see the detail and love that I try to add into each one.  They are very laborious and take many hours to complete, but in the end I step back and really enjoy their wallpaper-inspired backgrounds and collage-style designs.  There's always something new to see in them.  Even though they're my own pieces, I get lost in them sometimes!  I can best describe them as "a vintage dream."


What are your Etsy goals?
I am currently working on adding an actual vintage section to my shop, and I hope to have it up and running in the coming months.  As for long-term, I am really looking forward to making CharmingShop more present in the Etsy and WEST communities.  I know I have a lot to learn, and now being a part of WEST is really exciting because I feel surrounded by inspiring, talented people all day long through Etsy.  Having a group focused on supporting one another is incredible.  I'm so happy to be a part of it!

Want to follow along all things CharmingShop?  Here's how:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!